Photoshop Blend Modes Explained
Photoshop Blend Modes control how an effect is applied to your image. Each Blend Mode has a different method for blending, and creates different effects when used. In this tutorial, I’ll walk you through and explain what each blend mode does and a few of my favorite ways to use them. My explanation is based on the practical ways a photographer might use Blend Modes while editing their images. For a more technical explanation of Photoshop Blend Modes, you can check out this post on Adobe’s website.
In the video, I mention several other tutorials that use blend modes that can help you take your learning even further. Find them in the “Related Posts” section below.
• Using and Understanding Layer Masks
• Creating a Matte Effect using Lighten and Darken Blend Mode
• Sky Overlay Tutorials using Multiply Blend Mode
• Dramatic Dodging and Burning using Soft Light Blend Mode
• Fixing Overly Bright Ears using Color Blend Mode
• Adding Contrast in Luminosity Blend Mode
• How to Use Glitter Overlays in Screen Blend Mode (plus download a free overlay!)
Looking to dive deeper into Photoshop Editing?
If you enjoyed this tutorial, I’d love to invite you to join me for my online Photoshop course, The Photoshop Fanatic.
The Photoshop Fanatic is an easy-to-follow, go-at-your-own-pace course that starts from the very beginning of Photoshop. We begin with a walk-through introduction and explanation of the various tools, layers, and filters in the program. Then, we work our way up to creating full, in-depth edits with ease.
To see if The Photoshop Fanatic is right for you, click here to learn more.